Tuesday, March 01, 2005

A Pet Peeve of Mine

I went to a baby shower yesterday. Now this post is not about this particular shower. I love the woman who is having the baby dearly. She is a sweetheart. It is about showers in general where it has become acceptable to address your own thank you. Who was the first person to do this and then other people thought it was a great idea? I would like to slap them. This whole practice irritates the crap out of me for some reason. If the people want to check your address there are several ways that could happen. Put out an address book and have them write it in there. Lay out a notebook and put it in there. Have them check the church directory (in this case) to make sure it is correct. Why not lay out thank you cards too and we can just write out own? Maybe I should market these - I would probably make a fortune. How about this format:

Dear __________________,(fill in your name)
Thank you very much for the ________________________________ (insert name of gift) that you spent your hard earned money on. I appreciate you taking valuable time out of your busy life to shop for a ______________ (insert occasion) gift with me in mind. Not to mention that wrapping paper and cards aren't cheap either. It really was ________________ (insert adjective) of you to do. I'm sure we will be able to use the _____________. (insert name of gift) It is really ___________________ (insert adjective and appropriate pronunciation) Lastly, thanks for taking more of your time to fill out this thank you card because I am just too _____________________ (insert adjective) to do it for myself. Please sign my name on the line below, place it in the envelope you have already addressed and feel free to drop money into the jar on the present table for a stamp.

_______________________________________


Posted May 16, 2005 and a subsequent follow up post