Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Where I'm from

Recently on Sanders5.com blog, individuals were engaged in writing a poem in the form, "I am from" A collection of these poems can be found at The Happy Husband. Heather's poem on her blog brought back so many memories for me. I thought I would try my own. It won't be nearly as good, I know. But here goes...

I am from a town where high school sports ruled as king and over the hill, out of shape ex-jocks were the loyal servants.

I am from a time where I would go to the post office, open box 234 (b to the right, e to the left, d to the right) and hope for a personal letter, instead of checking my computer every 10 minutes for one.

I am from a family where my grandmother always wore an apron, could be found at the sewing machine or kitchen, yelled yoo-hoo when I would go into the house and would layer the blankets on so high at night that there was NO way you were getting out of bed without help.

I am from a time period before car seats and seat belt laws, when I could be found lying in the back window of the car while we were on vacations.

I am from a small town where getting "away" with anything was nearly impossible since everyone knew your "folks."

I am from a tiny country Southern Baptist church, where farmers would leave their fields, come to church in their overalls to thank God for their crops and then an hour later, head back to the fields to work those crops.

I am from my dad who taught by example. Instead of saying, "call me if I can do anything," when someone died, he could be found washing all of the bereaved family's cars and polishing their shoes so they would have 2 less things to worry about before the funeral.

I am from a time before Sega, before Gameboy, before X Box, before Atari even, when kids spent their time pretending their bikes were horses, trees were for climbing to be the "lookout" and "Home Free" could be heard shouted throughout the neighborhood in the evenings while parents sat on their porches.

I am from going to the little league field to watch BOYS ONLY play ball, taking my nickel to the concession stand and buying wax bottles with sugary sweet liquid inside.

I am from knowing everyone at the local restaurants, ordering my food and saying, "put in on my tab."

I am from Easter egg hunts at my grandmother's, where all of the cousins would race around like crazy, passing up the eggs hidden in plain sight to search for the elusive "golden egg", an old Legg panty hose egg, filled with money.

I am from icy cold grape Nehi in a bottle bought for dime, and opened with a bottle opener attached to the front of the machine at the corner store.

I am from walking across the room to change the channel or being content to watch what was on one of the 3 channels.

I am from slumber parties, prank phone calls and no thought of sleep.

I am from Saturday nights at the bowling alley or skating rink where it was safe to be without supervision.

I am from a better time. I am from my youth. I am old.

So -- where are YOU from?



Originally posted - May, 2005