Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I just couldn't get going today...

This has been one of the hardest periods of time I have worked in my life - the past 2 weeks. Or maybe I'm just old. Or both. This week I have worked at Andi and Big Guy's new house at least 12 hours a day. Usually more like 14-16. The house is looking great! I'll post pictures later. So lots of work, plus keeping things going at home. And teaching the 1-3 graders at church Wednesday night - which brought about this conversation with my husband.

Bill: Do you know you have paint on your shirt?
Me: Yes.
Bill: Do you know you have paint ALL over your shirt?
Me: Yes, what's your point?
Bill: Are you wearing it to church? (said as I am walking out the door)
Me: Yes, it matches my shorts - are you coming?

He did, but not without a loud sigh.

So anyway, back to this morning. It's Friday and I had bills to pay and things to take care of. So I loitered. For lack of a better word, I am malingering. Why? Because tomorrow is moving day and I know that once I step foot into the abyss at the new house, my heart will not let my body leave until all the work is done -- which might mean a LONG time from now.

The mail came today and with it a thank you for the shower gift that I wrote about 40 days ago. It said....
Perri
Thank you for the gift and your wonderful sense of humor.
XXXXXX
You don't suppose she read my blog do you? I think she is just talking about me in general.

So I piddled this morning. Talked on the phone to all my friends I have been neglecting due to the aforementioned heavy work load. And stayed in my gown - throwing up a prayer every 5 minutes or so that nobody come to the door.

One of those "friends" I recruited to help paint this week said home improvement makes me grouchy. I don't think so. Hundred year old plaster walls - that makes me grouchy.

But again - back to this morning. As I was lounging across my bed yakking on the phone, Ryan comes in. He crawls up on me to get some hugs. After a few minutes he says he will be right back - don't move. As if I needed encouraging to stay put. He runs off and returns with Wes. They both crawl up on the bed. Then Ryan says "watch this" and starts poking and pinching on my neck and saying "squishy." He starts giggling and so Wes gives it a try - with the same results. They are both cackling and poking and chanting squishy. As much fun as this was for all of us, it was also the motivator I needed to get up and shower before they started on other body parts.

Thanks boys.

Posted June 25, 2005