Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Hell revisited

While I was at the doctor yesterday, Jacob called me to tell me that a stranger had came to the door - but they didn't answer it. Bill was home with them and I suppose they just made the executive decision to not bother dad since they didn't know the guy anyway. Some smart thinking there.

It got me to thinking about the last time they saw a stranger at the door though - things didn't run quite the same way. It was in May, 2005 that I wrote "Hell is in the eye of the beholder."

The kids let a stranger into our house yesterday. I was helpless to stop them. Carly runs into the bathroom to yell that there is a man at the door. By the time I get out of the shower and get a towel wrapped around me and head down the hall where I can peek around the corner to see who it is, I hear a man's voice in the entryway. Clearly in the house.

Luckily it was someone I knew - but was not someone that they had ever seen in their lives. I have a conversation screamed down the hallway with him (because when I heard his voice, I started screaming, "who is in my house?" and he answered) So I knew the guy and he wanted to fill his water jugs with our faucet outside to kill weeds across the street. Life in a small town.

Later in the day we are reviewing our house safety rules as we went to town. I emphasized AGAIN to NOT let stranger in. My question of "what if it was a stranger and he came in and killed us?" brought about this conversation:

Jacob immediately answers: Then we would go to heaven and he would be in hell.

Ryan: He would be here?

Jacob: No, he would be in hell.

Ryan: He would come here?

Jacob: NO RYAN. HE WOULD BE IN HELL! Does this look like hell to you? (swooping his arm around the car at his family)

Ryan: (taking in the swooped scene) Sorta.