Wednesday, October 17, 2007

These are not just a whim cookies

Random quotes from Andi during cookie making this afternoon.

"These are the type of cookies that you bake after the third date and you wonder if it's all going to work out." said after doing the first batch."

"These cookies could be called purity cookies because they really require a commitment to make them."

"These are not the type of cookies you make for a one night stand." she was muttering after the third pan."

"Because you can't just go make them - you have to carve out a chunk of your life to make them. It's not just a, “Hmmmm, I think I'll make cookies today," it's an  “I have nothing to do and I want to spend the entire afternoon making cookies."

"These cookies require pre-planning - sorta like your funeral, only tastier." she muttered after the fourth pan.

"You know, I really don't think we are going to inspire anyone to make these cookies, Mom. Especially since they taste like Nutter Butters, which you can just go buy and they are a lot cheaper."

"I think these cookies should be called Carve out a Chunk O' Time cookies."

"No wait, you should call these Tennessee Nutter Butters, because I would have had time to drive there and buy some by now."

Anyway - here's the recipe. What you do with it is up to you. She threw ours away.

PEANUT BUTTER AND OATMEAL SANDWICHES

1 c. peanut butter
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
1/4 c. Karo light or dark corn syrup
1 egg
2 tbsp. water
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder

FILLING
1 c. peanut butter
2/3 c. Karo light corn syrup

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat first three ingredients until fluffy. Add 1/4 cup corn syrup, egg, water and vanilla, mix until smooth. Stir in combined dry ingredients. Roll into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Press into 2 1/2 inch circles. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 1 minute remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Mix filling ingredients until smooth. Spread rounded teaspoonful onto half of cookies, top with remaining cookies. Decorate with powdered sugar and melted chocolate, if desired. Store loosely covered. 2 1/2 dozen.

I couldn't believe it when I walked over and saw she had covered them all in chocolate. I don't like chocolate covered cookies and I accidentally let it slip out loud that I couldn't believe she covered them all in chocolate.

She gave me a look that would stop blood running and said she would buy me a package of Nutter Butters.

Here's a picture of our happy baker with her finished product & Keegan.