Sunday, May 20, 2007

Oh Criminy, I thought I was done

Really. I thought I had my hundred things done. But no, Heidi was "kind" enough to point out to me that I skipped all of the 80's. I swore her to secrecy, but in order to do it right, I'm going back to my list of 100 things about me. What can I tell you? I don't remember a lot of the 80's? Well, math was never my strong subject. Anyway, here are my final 10 - again.

I hate math.


Math and I are not friends. It doesn't like me either.

I took business math in high school. Never accounting. People, like my friend, Sherie, who actually go to school and pay money and want to be accountants -- they are a mystery to me. As far as I've been able to determine over the years, she is perfectly normal in every other way. We have a lot in common and she's one of my favorite people. I just can't imagine purposely wanting to try to get numbers to balance out for a living.

IF there is one subject I do not want to teach my children -- well, that would be math.

I would strike the IF in the above sentence - but instead, I'll just make it a new sentence in my next "thing" because sometimes I draw things out. An example would be when I'm cleaning house. Sometimes I add things to my list that weren't on my list in the first place if I just happened to do them, just for the sheer joy of marking them off. Marking things off a list is very satisfying to me if it signifies accomplishment.

There IS one subject I do not have to teach my children after third grade.


You guessed it. That subject is math. Andi has agreed to do it in exchange for things like child care. Even before she was ever pregnant though, she had agreed to do it just because she wants her little brothers and sisters to understand math. She is a whiz at math. She didn't get that gene from me. I started buying the solution manuals for math starting with fourth grade. Big Guy has also agreed to get them through their math years. They both loved classes like physics. I've told you they were strange, right?

I never took algebra in school until I got to college, because I hate math. I had to take algebra and it makes no sense to me. Why not just tell you what they want instead of trying to make you guess through a bunch of little symbols? That's just sadistic.

Algebra was the hardest subject I ever took in college, because I hate math and algebra makes no sense to me...still I got an A in it. I spent MANY hours studying with a tutor in order to get the A. My tutor was a former boyfriend of mine with whom I was still good friends. I'm sure he pretty much hated me by the time that class was over. I know his new girlfriend did.

I'm very good at handling money because somehow I don't relate money to math and I've never bounced a check.

There now, that should do me. For real this time.