Sunday, January 28, 2007

Housekeeping Meme

This one I saw today at Melene's blog and thought I'd try it. Melene is a true, die hard, anti Duke fan of another team from N.C., but I still like her. See how many flaws I can overlook in a person?

Aprons – Y/N? If Y, what does your favorite look like?
Yes, every day when I do anything in the kitchen. It is brick and beige check and I've had it for years. Ryan brought it to me the other day and I asked him what it was for and he said I would need it to fix his dinner. I was watching TV at the time, but I'm guessing he was hungry.

Baking – Favorite thing to bake
Cheesecakes

Clothesline – Y/N? No, but seeing one outside brings back good memories of my Maw-Maw and her clothesline. I hung many a load out with her.

Donuts – Have you ever made them? Yes, out of biscuits, fried them and rolled them in cinnamon sugar.

Everyday – One homemaking thing you do every day - Sweep the kitchen and dining room.

Freezer – Do you have a separate deep freeze? Yes, 2. A chest and an upright. Go with the upright if you have a choice.

Garbage Disposal – Y/N? Not any more. Slight household mishap.

Handbook – What is your favorite homemaking resource? The kids stacks of drawing they do every day for me to save "forever." They let me know this house is a home.

Ironing – Love it or hate it? I think I've covered this topic.

Junk drawer – Y/N? Where is it? Not really.

Kitchen – Color and decorating scheme. My kitchen has recently gouged walls and you can see the color there. The trim is brick, cabinets light wood, blue floor and blue countertops with a piece of Superglue tube permanently attached. Another household mishap.

Love – What is your favorite part of homemaking? Having fresh baked goods.

Mop – Y/N? I use my swiffer and when it gets really bad then the next kid that gets in trouble has to get down on hands and knees to scrub it. Sometimes that knowledge alone is enough to keep peace in the house for days.

Nylons – Wash by hand or in the washing machine? Haven't had them on but once in the past 15 years and then I just took them off and pitched them.

Oven – Do you use the window or open the oven to check? I open the door.

Pizza – What do you put on yours? Sausage, pepperoni, bacon and onion is my favorite.

Quiet – What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment? I'll let you know if it ever happens.

Recipe card box – Y/N? What does it look like? Double tier wooden box, a shelf of books and a CD with 1,000,000 recipes on it. I got that from Wal-Mart for 10 bucks and it is wonderful.

Style of house – What style is your house? Brick ranch - comfy casual inside.

Tablecloths and napkins – Y/N? Cloth napkins at every meal. BUT these cloth napkins are actually the cheapo dishrags you can buy by the dozen. But they end up being much cheaper than paper napkins and when they are too stained to use, I turn them into cleaning rags. Saves a lot of money over paper napkins. We do use "real" cloth napkins too.

Under the kitchen sink – Organized or toxic wasteland? Organized.

Vacuum – How many times per week? Usually once.

Wash – How many loads of laundry do you do per week? Probably 8

X’s – Do you keep a daily list of things to do that you cross off? Yes, I have a constant errand list, an ongoing grocery list and my monitor is covered on the edges with "To Do" notes and reminders. Sometimes I even like to add things to my list that I have already done - just to be able to mark them off and feel that sense of accomplishment. I'm shallow that way.

Yard – Y/N? Who does what? Big Guy mows our yard for us out of his eternal gratitude for all we do for them. He and Andi will also do any other yard work that I ask them to do.

Zzz’s – What is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed? Get Ryan up to go to the bathroom. Fill the humidifier.