Thursday, November 16, 2006

I used to be Momma

For the past 8,499 days - give or take a day or two, I have been known as Momma. I like being Momma. It's who I am -- or was. Andi has always called me Momma - even when her teenage friends would say, "you call your mom, Momma?" Yep, she did.

Even when she graduated college - yep, she did. Out of the six kids, she is the only one who does call me that. Jacob does sometimes, but for the most part, he calls me Mom - as do the rest of the kids.

We are now in a transitional phase. She is trying to quit calling me Momma, so that when she is talking to Sophie, then Sophie doesn't get confused and call me Momma. So Andi has taken to trying to call me Mamaw.

I know this makes sense. I did it with my own children. I now call my own Dad "Pappaw" probably 75% of the time. So my brain knows this is the way things have to be. It's not as if I want Andi to say "my momma, your Mamaw" every time she is talking to Sophie about me.

But if I know this makes sense and I know this is the way things have to be, then why am I sitting here with tears rolling down my face at the thought of not being "Momma" any more?

I've rounded a corner and there's no turning back - I'm now Mamaw and I LOVE being Mamaw to Sophie. It's a good name and I can't wait to hear her say it, but I will always, always miss being "Momma" to my own baby girl.