Monday, October 02, 2006

Sleep Baby Sleep

I have a CD of beautiful lullabies that have lulled the kids to sleep since Jacob was born. Whenever someone has a new baby, I make them a copy of these lullabies. They are wonderful.

Andi and Sophie joined us for a trip to see Pappaw and Nana today. On the way back to their house after lunch, Sophie decided to wake and scream at the top of her lungs -- for several miles. Carly and Jacob were sitting on either side of her and were doing their best to calm her down but there was to be none of that.

Andi told them that there was nothing they could do really - she was just hungry and we would be at Pappaw's in a few minutes and she could be fed. I suggested that they talk quietly to her to try and calm her down.

Then, from the back seat, we hear Ryan's tiny voice singing my favorite lullabye:

Sleep, Baby, Sleep, I know your day has been oh so long;
Dream, Baby, Dream, I know your day has been oh so long;

I look in my mirror to see him peering up over the back seat at her singing so softly to her. Andi and I look at each other and practically start to cry at how sweet tough boy Ryan is being. Then we hear the next line out of his mouth:

I don't care if you are hungry;
Sleep baby sleep!