Sunday, April 02, 2006

I'm not a complainer.....

really - I'm not. But I would like to get hold of the person who thinks that every mother wants their seven year old daughter to look like a 30 year old hooker. Why does it seem every piece of clothes readily available has glitter, sequins, lace, and spaghetti straps? Why is it that shorts are not more than 2 inches long in the inseam? Why are we supposed to want to show our daughter's stomachs to the world? I HATE and I do mean HATE clothes shopping for Carly. She is very tall for her age and so those shorts on her look like a bathing suit. I found her some shorts at Target today called Judo shorts that are almost like capris. It was either that length or the bathing suit look. Even the skorts and skooters are way too short. I was able to find her some shirts at Kohl's, but had to get a size 16 in order for them to be long enough for her. She is 7. Not overweight. She should be able to wear a lot of sizes before she hits a size 16. Another thing I have noticed on girl's clothes is the sleeves hang past their hands about 5 inches. They could have used that material to make the shirts longer in the waist. I know I can't be the only mom in America who just wants play shorts, that look like kid clothes for their daughter. Knit - a bit above the knee and washable -- is that too much to ask?

However, Carly and I had a good day together. Bill and the boys came home after church and Carly and I went to Evansville to shop. We bought some of Jacob's birthday presents, sang songs from the 70's and had ice cream at G.D. Ritzy's. Carly doesn't have to know the words to sing. She sings with gusto - loud and proud.

We also found a wonderful dove grey colored down comforter at Kohls. Originally $169.00, marked down to $45.00 - so that little bargain is now on the bed and I'm one step closer to being done in there.

While we were gone, Bill replaced the rotors and brakes on my car. I am getting ready to take the kids on vacation and he always wants to make sure we don't have any car problems. Just another way he silently shows his love for his family. All in all, we had a very nice weekend.