Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Sometimes - if you let them

kids will surprise you. I have been looking for a kitchen table for 2 years that would suit our family needs in a style I liked. I have grown tired of looking and today I went to Home Depot to just order a 4 foot x 7 foot table top to match our kitchen counters. It will have no seams of course, which is great for all the crumb makers at our table. I am going to build a base for it and it will just be a large island table. So whether or not I like it remains to be seen - but it is ordered and I'm not going to cancel it.

Anyway, I was able to have lunch today with my oldest son, Zac, but couldn't convince him how much fun a trip to Home Depot with his little sister and brothers really was, so I dropped him off before heading over there. I told the kids to just stand quietly while I got this done and we would be on our way.They did their part and as the woman was finishing writing up the order, Wesley commented on how cool her "drawing thing" was. It is a protractor stencil thing of sorts that is used to design layouts for kitchens and baths. After a long conversation where he was telling her how much he likes to draw, she told him he could have it - very nice of her. Then he asked her if she had ANOTHER one. She told him, no, that was her only one. I was just about to get onto him for being rude when he said, "well, if you give this to me, you won't be able to do your job."

The good in him more than makes up for the mischief. Once he was home with his new treasure, he went to the card drawer to get a thank you card and wrote out a card to send to her. I drew the lines on the card, but the rest is pure Wes. A sweetheart who is spending this week waking me up saying, "this is the last Tuesday I'm going to be six" then "this is the last Wednesday I'm going to be six." I think I detect a pattern here.