Friday, March 10, 2006

Sharing of the bread

I woke up feeling yukky (no details necessary) and so after doing a bit of school work, we were going to sit and watch Sarah, Plain and Tall. I love this movie and the kids loved the book, so we are now watching the movie. Almost. Right when we turned on the TV, the ACC quarterfinals were getting ready to start (who knew?) and Duke was going to be playing in just a matter of minutes. Talk about timing. Sarah was promptly put on hold and we all changed to ballgame mode. For such little kids, they can be pretty rabid fans.

We made some sandwhiches and the kids gathered around the coffee table to eat them and cheer. Jacob ate very slowly and by the time he got to the end of his meat, he still had some his bread left. Being the kind soul that he is, he offered his now somewhat stale bread to the others. Being the smart kids they are, they turned down his stale bread. Several times during the course of the next half hour.

Finally, his brain working feverishly, he came upon a solution. I am kicked back in my recliner when I hear, "Do this in rememberance of me." Jacob has decided to re-enact the Lord's last supper - using his bread. He was pretty close to the exact way it happened. OK, so maybe it's not written, "and likewise with the milk." But that's the way it happened here today.

THEN, as if that's wasn't enough - Wesley wanted to watch cartoons. This is a big no-no in our house. They are not usually allowed to watch TV before 6 or so unless it is a movie we all watch together, an educational video or in March, Duke basketball. So, of course, I said no to the cartoons and Wes collapses on the floor, hands together, saying, "like the blind man said to Jesus - have mercy on me." At least he didn't add ... and let me watch cartoons.

And lastly, Jacob just overturned his bar stool while writing his spelling words. I'm sure if you are a mom, you realize how easy this is to do. He caught himself, but not the stool and after the loud crash, he grins at me and says, "I'm OK, and that's all that really matters."