Saturday, January 28, 2006

2 Helpful Household Hints

I'm sure that everyone has read the following 2 hints in some woman's magazine - since they all use basically the same helpful hints. If you haven't read how your should lay out your kids clothes and pack their lunch the night before they are needed in order to avoid an early morning rush, then you have been living under a stone somewhere.

Anyway, this morning I was waiting for a phone call so I was drying my hair with the cord stretched from the bathroom to the bedroom so I could hear the phone ring -- when I noticed this dried flower arrangement. Now, I have read it, you have read it, but have you ever actually put the blow dryer on low and cleaned the dust off your dried flower arrangements. I haven't. Or from looking at them, cleaned them any other way either. So naturally curious and with nothing better to do, I turned the dryer onto the flowers. My bedroom immediately turned into my own personal version of a desert storm. I have never seen so much dust fly out of one small thing in my life. Which was a shame, since I had just dusted this room thoroughly earlier this week. So if you want to try this nifty idea, wait till cleaning day - learn from my mistake.

The second experiment came to me as I was staightening a cabinet and I saw some Efferdent back in the corner. Nobody around here has dentures, but I had bought it a few years back to try and clean the inside of a flower vase. It did OK, but I was not overly impressed. However, I had read where you could also clean your jewelry using this foamy pill. I have bought jewelry cleaner and one of those vibrating cleaner things a couple of years ago and it wasn't long before both of them hit the trash can as wasted money. Anyway, I plopped one of them, along with my wedding band into a bowl of hot water and waited for a couple of minutes.
I have to say that it did the trick on the ring. It was shiny and sparkling. So borrow your grandmother's denture tablet and give it a whirl.