Monday, November 23, 2009

Please pray for Ryan

Tonight - after an exhaustive six hour evaluation, Ryan was admitted into Deaconess Crosspoint. It is a psychiatric hospital where he will remain for the next 7 -14 days. Or longer if necessary.

It's no secret that Ryan is not a happy child. He's belligerent, hateful and angry a lot of the time. He talks back and fights me on just about everything I tell him to do. He's not an easy child to deal with or to live with. I blame about 95% of this on his prenatal drug and alcohol exposure. This is most likely what caused his low IQ and his ability to function normally.

All that aside though, Ryan has been becoming increasingly angry and violent. He has been getting more verbal in letting his wishes be known...such as telling his brothers, "I wish you would die and I would just stand and watch your blood drain out of you and not help you." He has been getting more and more frustrated with Sophie and Keegan and has been getting a bit physical with them. Nothing extreme, but shoving them and things like that -- which could certainly cause injury should they fall into something.

Saturday, he stated that he should just stab himself and die so he would be done. Seeing the quickly downward spiral of the last few weeks, I called Southwestern Mental Health today to try and get him an emergency appointment. No such luck - but they did refer us to Crosspoint.

Ryan will be getting 7 hours of therapy a day - including classes on problem solving, anger management, relationship skills, coping skills and life skills. He will be put on some medicine that will hopefully help alleviate some of his anger.

I tell you all that to ask you this. Please pray for Ryan. Pray specifically that his mental ability is such that he can learn what they are trying to teach him. That was the biggest stumbling block to getting him admitted. Would he even be able to understand the program? I hope so. He's awful young to be feeling like he does. Please pray that the medicine that they try will be successful. Pray that he's not scared. Or lonely. Or resentful.

He was so sad to be left there - he thought he was being abandoned at first - and was telling me how good he could be. It was heartbreaking. People who don't live with a child like Ryan really have no idea what it's like.

So, I'm asking that you pray he understands this is for his own good. He told the social worker he didn't want to be hateful or feel like he does all the time. He wants to be happy and enjoy life -- like other 10 year old kids.

He also told her that sometimes when he looks at me like he wants to really hurt me, it's because he does want to really hurt me. I, of course, am the main target of his anger because I am his main caregiver. I understand that totally.

Nobody is allowed to visit except for Bill and me. And the visiting session is during Bill's work, so that means it will be me. Ryan is not allowed to have any treats, food or gifts. The only thing he can have is mail. So I want him to have it and lots of it. Please send him cards -- More than one if you can.

Ryan Huddleston
% DCP
7200 E. Indiana St.
Evansville, IN 47715

Thank you - I've been blogging long enough to know there are a lot of good people out there who will take the time to let Ryan know that he is loved and being prayed for.