Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mish-mash








A few months ago, I had a little sit-down with the ladies who are opening a preschool in the fall at church. They had some things they wanted made and today I finished all but one cabinet. I have to add a little piece of wood before I put on the doors and then it is done. I'm happy with the way everything turned out and it feels good knowing that we saved over $6,000 making it ourselves as opposed to buying the stuff from the education catalog. They are painting the rooms and decorating and in just a few weeks the preschool will be opening its doors.

While we were there Sophie hurt her hand a little bit and it was so funny to hear her yell for Mamaw - about 20 times in 30 seconds. Just as quick as she could get them out, "Mamaw, Mamaw, Mamaw, Mamaw." It was so sweet.

Tina asked if I had any projects in the works and I told her no, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sherie didn't come up with something. This afternoon -- not 3 hours later, Sherie just nonchalantly asked if I thought we could make some things for her shop as instead of her buying them from the store. I just busted out laughing and so I have a feeling my car won't be hanging out in the garage for much longer.

Andi and I took all the kids to the mall tonight. That was quite an adventure. She went to Motherhood and did a bit of shopping for fall maternity clothes. Motherhood has a pillow you can strap around your waist and it adds 3 months of pregnancy to your body so that you can see how the clothes will fit later. Very fun indeed. All the kids tried on the pillow and I've got to say it was a bit disconcerting to see Carly looking pregnant and the boys looking like they were sporting beer guts.

Carly let me take her picture with Andi's phone, but the boys wouldn't because they knew where they would end up. Jacob started naming off people (a girl) he knew who reads my blog, so he didn't want his picture made. Too bad - I think that could have come in handy sometime.

I bought a very neat diaper bag at the mall and Andi just looked at me and asked why I needed a bigger diaper bag. It took a minute as she stood there trying on her maternity clothes to realize that I was going to be hauling stuff around for two babies.

While at the mall, we ran into a friend of mine whose son has some birth defects and as an adult is about the size of a 5 year old. When we got back into the car the kids were discussing Scott and Wesley said he was a kidult. I asked him what a kidult was.......an adult who looks like a kid in case you don't know either.

Then it was off to Golden Corral where I did not fare well in the staying clean department. Let me preface this part of the mish mash by saying that prior to leaving home I had put on clean socks because an afternoon of just walking in Sherie's shop makes my feet feel grimy. So I came home and washed them and put on clean socks before slipping my comfy feet back into my flip flops.

That's right -- I have no illusion that anyone is going to ask me for fashion advice or look to me as some fashion icon. I'm the old woman with socks and sandals. I tried earlier this summer to wear my flip flop sandals without socks. Couldn't do it. I lasted 3 days and it was miserable. So now that you are caught up with my wardrobe, back to Golden Corral, where I left the kids at the table to fix their plates and avoid messes-- supposedly.

The first mishap was when the plate of food for the kids flipped upside down onto the top of my foot. Nothing to me is grosser than macaroni and cheese unless it's very creamy macaroni and cheese with large noodles.... which is what was all over my foot. Andi managed to not laugh out loud as she kindly cleaned the molten melted cheese out from under my toes, although I think I saw her shoulders moving up and down quite a bit as she was bent over.

A few other messes during dinner culminated when I took them to get their ice cream and as I pushed the hot fudge pump down it squirted...... straight out onto my shirt, dripping down about 18 inches. As the squirt stopped, it dropped a huge hot glob -- right on top of the mac and cheese stain.

Sophie had fallen sound asleep in the high chair with green beans and mashed potatoes coming out of her mouth so she didn't even get to see Mamaw looking like a pig.

Tomorrow is the last day of football camp and there is going to be a punt, pass and kick competition. Jacob has no grandiose ideas about his football ability. He is enjoying it, but says he thinks he will be a bench warmer if he plays.

I think that just about catches up everything that's going on around here.