Thursday, February 22, 2007

So I had a little conference last night

with the people in charge of opening the new preschool at our church this fall. They showed me all the furniture they want to have in the school. Since the school will share space with our church classrooms, all of the school's furniture has to be separate and be able to be self contained and locked.


There's this nifty little cabinet, which opens up to house the teacher's desk inside it, with a slide out desk. Cost $439.00 each and they need 2 of them.


They need 3 of these type of cabinets. 2 with shelves and one fitted top to bottom with dowel rods for books in bags to hang on. These jewels cost $1,049 apiece. Crazy.




This simple coat rack - probably made of a 1 x 4 costs 54 bucks each. We would need 3 of them for the number of students we will have in each class. The 4-H project book rack costs 59 bucks each in the catalog.

The little cubby hole bins are $219.00 each - of course we need 2. The book storage shelves are $319.00 each.

And the ultimate in preschool luxury is the 3 shelf tall (although the picture only shows a 2 shelf) storage unit for bins at a mere cost of $599.00 each

So we are talking about basic furniture for the preschool alone costing almost $6,700.00. Quite a chunk of money for a small church such as ours.

Added to that, they just needed another cabinet built for the Toddler class room, a locked toy box and doors put on a cabinet so that the nursery toys could be locked away.

Guess how I'll be spending my spring and summer? They asked what I would charge to make it all and of course, I said nothing. Not nothing as in "I'm speechless." - but nothing as in "I will do that - you don't have to pay me." I think I can get it all done for under 800 bucks.

In retrospect, I'm thinking I should have requested an air conditioner for the garage -- or at least some big box fans. I have a feeling it's gonna be a long, hot summer in there. If any of you local people who read my blog have ever wanted to make cabinets, give me a call. I know just where you can learn.
Edited to add: I got this in an email this morning from one of my local readers. "You definitely sound like you are going to be a busy woman with the entire furniture making. I would love to come over and watch at some point."
WATCH? Perhaps I should be a bit more clear in my invitation.