Saturday, March 17, 2007

Love Thy Brother

This post is best appreciated if, in your mind, you picture me sitting by a roaring fire with a large, ornate, story book opened on my lap, wearing a crushed red velvet smoking jacket, a snifter of brandy Mt. Dew on my side table and an Irish Setter at my feet. Then, use your best story telling voice in your mind....ready? OK, let us begin.

In all of my years of being a mother I have learned several unwavering facts. First and foremost of these is the simple fact that kids fight. With each other. At times..... a lot.

When kids fight it seems to be for basically just a few reasons.

#1. The kids have very similar personalities.

#2. One child won't do what the other child wants him or her to do.

#3. There is no #3.

End of story. On to my real life. This is the case of Ryan and Jacob. Of all the children I have had in my home to raise for a few years or a lifetime, these two boys butt heads more than any other two children have.

In their case I think it is a combination of #1 and 2. Number one because they are both similar in that they want to be the boss all the time - which leads to problem number two.

Over the years I have found few things to be as effective as a counter measure to a day of fighting as a little something I call "Love Thy Brother Day."

This afternoon turned into a LTB day. After about 20 minutes of listening to solid nit-picking fighting, I had heard enough. Just not in the mood for it - I'm sure you know what I mean.


LTB Day consists of just one basic rule. You have to hold hands - lovingly - for the rest of the day. There is no hand squeezing to try and hurt one another. You have to work together -- such as if you are playing with a remote control car. One person controls the back and forth button, and the other the sideways button.



If you are listening to music, you each get one earpiece.



Twirling Chicken Alfredo over linguine noodles can be tricky - but it can be done.

There might still be the occasional stubbornness shine through when someone doesn't want to go the same way, but overall, they end up laughing a lot throughout the day -- - and before long, they are even looking for things to do together just to see if they can do them each just using one hand. There generally ends up being much laughter as I occasionally make them throw in a heart-felt, "I love ya, brother!" followed by a big hug.

Sure there are still a few times when they want to go different directions, but they seem to work that out too.







One way or another.

This particular LTB Day ended when I told them they had to give each other a kiss. Ryan asked if it had to be on the lips and I said no, but Jacob grabs Ryan up into the air in a great big bear hug and THEN smooshes Ryan's face in-between both of his hands and gives him the biggest smooch on the lips with a big lip smacking sound.

It was hilarious because then Ryan begins to sound like Lucy after she had been kissed by Snoopy. "He kissed me ON MY LIPS! MOM, he kissed me ON MY LIPS! ARRRGGGH I've got germs now!" I thought he was going to have a cow. Jacob was so proud of himself. He was practically doubled over laughing. Now I will have to be telling him to NOT love thy brother with quite so much affection.

Smile Train Jar Update - Andi and I skipped our usual run through McDonald's on our way to Bible Study this morning and added that 6 bucks to the jar. As I watched TV this evening there was an hour long special on children with clefts and an organization called Operation Smile. I recorded the special for the kids to watch so that they can get a more clear idea of how their small sacrifice can change a child's life. They will never know who - but they will certainly see how.