Friday, March 16, 2007

If only they were sincere

Right after my beloved Duke team went down in flames last night in the first round of the NCAA tourney, the phone started ringing with "friends" offering condolences. Then a couple showed up at the door wiping their fake tears, eager to sit on my couch and eat my snacks to watch their team win.

My inbox has been dinging all day with more "I feel your pain" mail. I don't think you do. It's tough to be a Duke fan when you live in Hoosier country. Somebody stole Andi's Duke flag right off the front of her house. Somebody stole my Duke license plate right off the front of my car. We are talking seriously tough to be a Duke fan in Hoosier country.

This email to Andi, Big Guy and me from our pastor pretty well sums up how sympathetic people really are to our long wait till November.

Dear Duke fans,

I know that this day finds you with many sorrows. May you find comfort in the hope of a new season to come. Lift up your heads.

Pastor Aaron

Can't you just feel the love?