Tuesday, March 13, 2007

And She Survives In One Piece!!!!!

True, at first, I wore a huge pillow bungee corded to my rumpus, but after about 30 minutes, I felt confident enough to remove the pillow. Then I skated successfully for the next hour or so, till I was all tuckered out. I only fell once - and that was just when I was standing still in my last five minutes on skates.

I got to skate with each of the kids and we had a blast. Ryan and Jacob skated with me at the same time, but when they decided I wasn't fast enough, I was told to just quit trying and they pulled me around together. Ryan wanted to pull me by himself after that, so he skated with both hands behind him and me holding on to his hands. He was working up a storm but grinning the whole time. Wesley and I skated together during the couples skate. I did the Hokey Pokey with Carly and let me assure you - Hokey Pokeyin on skates is no easy task for a beginner. I opted out of the Chicken Dance in favor of a Mountain Dew.

I was running late this afternoon and forgot to take my camera, but I'm sure I can bum some pictures off of someone to post later.
One of my friends was not so lucky. She survived, but not in one piece. Staci divided one piece into several when she fell and broke her arm (wrist?) on the first lap she skated. She called on her way home from the hospital. Her arm is in a cast, but she is going to have surgery on it later this week. They are currently experiencing a Hee-Haw Gloom, Despair and Agony time in their life. Last month her husband fell off a ladder and he broke his arm very bad -- in five places. So they are sporting matching casts.

Andi called and I told her how Staci was and she said (without thinking), "Man, they just can't catch a break."

Uh, yeah - actually they're pretty good at that.