Saturday, February 24, 2007

Rolled Lasagna

My family enjoyed the rolled lasagna tonight. It is a very time consuming recipe to make --- I think. It could be that I was distracted by a dozen other things going on and I had to boil my noodles in small batches. Here are some pictures of the steps it took. You can make it however you like, the recipe I saw had spinach in it -- mine did not.

I browned and drained ground chuck with garlic and onion and then mixed that along with cheddar and mozzarella cheese and a can of tomato paste.
After the noodles were cooked, I cut them into two equal sizes and put about a quarter cup scoop of the meat mixture out on the noodle. I used a cookie scooper to do this.

I formed the meat into a log of sorts and rolled the noodle, scooping it off the edge of the plate and placing it into a 10X 13 pan. The pan held 2 rows of 7 each and then 4 sideways down the middle. I forgot to get a picture of that and didn't remember it until the sauce was on. I wasn't about to scoop the sauce off, so you'll just have to use your imagination.

I made 2 full pans of the noodles. One had extra cheese and marina sauce, the other had spaghetti sauce, which I had mixed with the remainder of the meat mixture. I baked it for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees. I should have waited and added the cheese later so that it didn't brown so much. Ahh well - live and learn. The last picture is a side picture of two of them taken from the end of the noodle. Everyone liked these, so that is something to remember when I consider doing this again. If there was someone in the kitchen helping me, I'm sure the time would have passed much quicker (or at least the work would have.)