Thursday, November 09, 2006

Making Up is hard to do

I am 45 - practically 46 and I have never worn much make-up. Mascara has never darkened my eyelashes.

My friends laugh because when I am asked what I use to wash my face with I always reply "whatever shampoo runs down my face when I wash my hair." And when they see me "clean" my face with an alcohol dampened cottonball, they visibly cringe.

But that has to change. I've noticed that my skin is looking splotchy in spots - like part Suave and part VO5 or something. So I have been pondering wearing make-up more frequently than once every quarter or so.

Long ago
-- when Zac was a freshman in a private school, his teacher's wife had a Mary Kay party. Me, being the good parent that I was and him, being the student that he was, thought maybe I should go and buy some grades makeup. $105.00 later for this luxury makeup kit, I left the party. This party was 9 years ago. Can you still see the Mary Kay logo imprinted on all but one blush? I would show you the mirror, but it is broken and gone, as is the lipstick. No idea where it is.


So although I have several friends who sell MK, I have decided to go the DG route this time. That would be Dollar General. We'll see how dedicated I am to wearing make up before I shell out more than 10 bucks for a complete beauty regimen.

I am pleased to report that the bottle of astringent (weak alcohol) that I purchased that same day was actually finished last week. That's a little under an ounce a year - gee, I'm frugal.

My attempt at make up 9 years ago - total failure. Zac's grades, however, were just fine :)