Monday, November 13, 2006

Life as we know it

is changing today. Sophie will be coming here every day. That part is pretty much the same - her coming here. The part that changes will be that Andi goes back to work. As for me, Friday I was a mom who could yell for everyone to get ready and get in the car, then head out, check in the rear view mirror for 4 heads and leave. Today - I am a Mamaw who will get ready somewhat slower, making sure I have everything needed for Sophie.

There is much to be thankful for even in that situation. Andi has been home for 3 months with Sophie, which is a long maternity leave. She is only going back part time and hopefully in a few months will cut down even more. She works for wonderful Christian people. Her job is just about 5 minutes away. Sophie will be staying with us so Andi can feel she is safe and well cared for and not being toooooo spoiled. But still....

I have always felt Andi thought I was just a tidge off for not wanting to work or send the kids to school. Even on our worst school days, I love being home and having them all here with me. I'm not one of those moms who claim to never need a break from their children, though. I love them, but sometimes we've just got to be away from each other for a few hours.

Anyway, as she was crying about this yesterday she said, "I never, ever thought I would want to stay at home." I told her that having a baby did strange things to your head." Without pausing she replied, "No, having a baby does strange things to your heart." Which is what I meant all along, but I wanted to see if she would correct me -- and she did, in true, "I'm meant to be a stay at home mom" mentality.

So please pray for Andi. This is harder for her than she ever dreamed it would be. It's going to be hard on the milk drooling super baby too. She just breaks into big smiles when her momma's face comes into view. Those two sure love each other and want to be together. I wish I could make it happen for them. Since I can't, I will try to be the best babysitter Andi could ever hope for.