Monday, September 25, 2006

Angel Mounds

After church today Angie and I took the kids to Angel Mounds for Native American Days. We watched a lot of tribal dancing and even took a few turns around the arena ourselves. Ryan was adamant that he was NOT going to be dancing and he turned out to be the best dancer of all. Carly really studied their moves and tried to imitate them. The woman with her back to me in the picture is a Jingle Dancer. All of those silver things on her dress are bells made up of rolled up Skoal lids. She really jingles with every step she takes. That is costume Carly would most like to have.
There was a craft station set up for the kids and we came home with a van load of dream catchers, sand art and various other projects. We took a quick trip through the museum and of course this trip would not be complete without a picture of each of my children dramatically being stabbed by an arrow.









I think Wesley was not entirely convinced that this Indian was fake and therefore felt the need to protect himself from any possible damage. Of course I didn't notice this when I took the picture or I would have taken another one......most likely.