Wednesday, August 30, 2006

You can write your name in the dust at my house ~~ Just don't date it!

That's the general rule at my house. I've read several blogs lately that discussed housecleaning. So I'd thought I would share my feelings about it. I'm all for it........occasionally.

Don't get the wrong idea - my house is always quite presentable. It's vacuumed often enough. The bathrooms get wiped down just about every day. The kitchen floor is swept and swiffered daily. The trash is taken out every afternoon and you will not find a sink full of dirty dishes in my house ever. I could count on one hand the number of times in a year that there are more than 2 loads of laundry waiting to be done. It does get dusted every other week or so, but if there are missed spots, then better luck next time. The kids and I all work together daily to keep on top of things around here. I'm never embarrassed to have people just drop by. But that being said --

There was thoughtful consideration that went into the choice for a grey sink with white swirls through it for the bathroom the kids use - it helps hide the toothpaste droppings.


However, if there is a choice to be made between deep cleaning or playing with the kids, then there really isn't a choice to be made. I remember years ago sitting and reading this cross-stitched poem over and over hundreds of times as I rocked my nephew:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
For babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

How true that is. I think I'm very lucky to already have two adult children. Having been witness to how fast the years go by, I'm not wasting my time cleaning behind my couches -- that won't matter a hill of beans in 20 years.

But the time I spend with my kids certainly will.