Monday, August 14, 2006

The happenings

Yesterday was Bill's birthday. He got his requested chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Pappaw and Nana came over and after a wonderful lunch of grilled steak, baked potatoes and corn on the cob, we feasted on the cake along with the desserts Nana always brings. Good stuff for everyone.

Nana also brought another quilt she had made for Sophie. It is cross stitched. I thought I would post one last picture of Andi and Big Guy before she starts going back to her normal size. Based on the contractions she has been having, I think that day is coming soon. She has had several stress tests and Sophie is still doing fine.

After lunch, Bill took the kids to the splash park for a few hours while the rest of us laid around like slugs. Quite a restful day.

This morning Carly and Wes finished their second grade reading books. Considering that if they were attending the public school down the street, they would be STARTING second grade in the Wednesday, I'm pretty happy about that.

Carly brought a Narnia book to me last week that she wanted to read. I told her to read a bit of it to me so I could see if the words were too hard. She started rattling off the first page with no problem at all. Vicki was sitting there and when Carly left, she asked me if I had any idea how well Carly read. Well, no, I don't guess I did, because she told me that Carly read aloud better than most of the 5th and 6th graders that she taught....in the public school down the street. Not bad for a kid who didn't speak an intelligible word 4 years ago.

This time of year brings mixed feelings about summer ending. I'm sad because Vicki starts back to school, thus ending our afternoon Boggle sessions. On the plus side, friends who garden have been blessing us with all manner of good things. Apple butter from Michelle, fresh salsa is in the fridge from Vicki and I just picked up some homemade blackberry jelly from my friend, Heidi.

Speaking of Heidi, she is doing some picking up of her own today. She got a call to go to the hospital and pick up her first foster child. A newborn baby girl will be joining them later today. She is as prepared for that as I was when the social worker appeared on our door step with Wesley 7 years ago. She has NOTHING for a baby. With that in mind, the kids and I have been running around this morning buying clothes, diapers, bottles, sheets, blankets, etc. She is borrowing one of the car seats we have for Sophie till she can get one. We delivered all of it and had an impromptu baby shower in her mudroom. So say a prayer for their family as they officially enter the world of foster care. This baby has some problems to overcome right off the bat, so please say a prayer for her too. Thanks.