Thursday, July 06, 2006

PFC Jonathan R. Pfender -- Among those who gave all

When I first heard about the blog Some Gave All, my immediate thoughts went to a young man from our area. I requested that I be given his name to write a tribute. It follows below:

The United States Department of Defense News Release of January 6, 2006 announced:
DoD Identifies Army Casualty

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. Pvt. Jonathan R. Pfender, 22, of Evansville, Ind., died in Bayji, Iraq, on Dec. 30, when an improvised explosive device detonated near his HMMWV during patrol operations. Pfender was assigned to the Army's 1st Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, Ky.For further information related to this release, contact Army Public Affairs at (703) 692-2000.

You don't need to call the Public Affairs Office. It is my honor to tell you a bit about Pvt. Pfender.

He was from the Evansville area, the place I go when I'm going shopping or to the movies - or to Lowes - or out to eat. The place my daily newspaper comes from - and from that source alone, I learned enough about Johnathan to know that his family was immensely proud of him. That he was ready to go "all out" - not just join the reserves, but he joined the Army, with the intent of going to Iraq.


His mother, Peggy Hammond said she knew her son, a 2001 graduate of North Posey High School, likely would be sent to Iraq but backed his decision "250 percent." She showed her support by getting her son's picture tattooed on her arm. The tattoo depicts her son in uniform standing in front of a U.S. flag. Family members said that Pvt. Pfender was impressed when he saw the tattoo during a visit home before his deployment.


I read every story about Jonathan. Grieving with his mother as I thought of my own son, who was basically Jonathan's age. I will never fully be able to understand the depths of her grief or the mountainous height of her pride.

It was a cold, rainy day in January when Jonathan was buried. It didn't matter to the hundreds of people who lined the streets to pay their final respect to a young man whose gave his life to protect the freedom so many take for granted.


There was a billboard - pictured below - that his mother had made.

In reality, it should have read.......

Thank you PFC Jonathan R. Pfender. You will not be forgotten. We will make sure of it. You have the thanks of a grateful nation for the ultimate sacrifice you were willing to give.