Thursday, May 04, 2006

Jacob the Speller????? Is it possible?

I've written before about how Jacob struggles with spelling. Just memorizing word lists is not something that he seems able to do ~~ which is fine ~~ I realize people learn different ways. Knowing this, I bought a different spelling program for him than the other kids are using. One that seemed an outrageous price for the tiny book I received.

Day one of this spelling program has the child write the sentence, "We are beginning to be good spellers." Jacob spelled a couple of words wrong - including are.

Well, something happened yesterday that if I had false teeth would have made me drop them.

I reviewed Day 4 of the program because we had been gone to Jamie's and I knew on day 5 the book said he was supposed to be able to spell the word beginning. Yeah, right.

Day 4 words were given and he missed a couple of them. He missed pinning (pining) and be (by) = yes, that's right bY for the word be. That's my little speller.

So it was with a large dose of skepticism in my voice when he said, "are there any bonus words?" that I replied, "Yeah, spell beginning."

And he DID.


That's another reason I homeschool. I didn't have to wait for hours to hear about it later ~~ I experienced that breakthrough with him. The sheer joy on his face when he realized he had spelled it correctly could have been a VISA commercial -- it was priceless.