Thursday, April 27, 2006

Andi & Me -- it's a good thing

As an added post to the picture gallery, I am going to talk even more about Andrea. I have a great relationship with my daughter, Andi. I wish every mother was able to say that, but I know that's not the reality of life. Everything is more fun when she is around. She brings joy with her when she walks through the door.

I have a few simple rules where Andi and Big Guy are concerned.


1. Unless asked, I keep my opinions to myself. Even then there are times when they are saying, "we are ASKING you what you think" and at that point I might point out some pros and cons. I'm a good mom/mother in law in that aspect.
2. I never make them feel guilty about their plans, fully realizing that we see them way more than any other people.
3. I mind my own business and don't stick my nose into theirs.

These three simple rules have made for a wildly successful relationship. They live about a mile from us and they are a very important part of our everyday life. I hope and pray that it never changes.

When Andi turned 18, she moved out --- all of about 70 yards away. A few months later, on Mother's Day, she gave me my gift along with a letter. I keep it in my fireproof box - but I got it out just to share with you. Some of the reasons seem silly, some you won't understand, but in the midst of them, there is the basis for a firm foundation of a life long loving relationship.


101 Reasons Why I love you
1. You love me back
2. You always ask how my day went, even if yours sucked
3. You listen to my answer
4. You have six kids and still find time to pay attention to me
5. You made me the way I am
6. You support me in everything I want to do
7. (Or don't want to, and then you let me quit)
8. Almost every single one of my track meets has been supervised by you
9. Mr. Tubbs makes you mad too (her track coach)
10. I don't have to ask to have any number of people come over for dinner
11. And you let us overrun your kitchen table
12. Even after we got marker on it for homecoming
13. You make sure I am safe
14. You care that I am still a virgin
15. And that I'm not on drugs
16. Or failing classes
17. You keep me in line
18. You give me confidence
19. You make me proud of you everyday
20. You make me want to be a good person
21. You made me go to church when I didn't want to, until finally I did
22. You make me pay for some of my own things
23. You made me learn to budget my money
24. You don't make me wear things I hate
25. You trust me enough not to go through my things
26. Or check in on me every other minute
27. You want me involved in your life
28. And want to be involved in mine
29. You are a great listener
30. You realize that you can come to me with your problems
31. You accept the fact that we do not hold all the same opinions
32. You try to respect mine
33. You try to make me not be bitter about things
34. You are way more understanding that I am
35. And patient
36. And forgiving
37. And you are very wise
38. And you give great advice
39. But you don't say "I told you so" when I do not follow it
40. You have an unfailing great sense of humor
41. And you use it all the time
42. You will call Mrs. Fletcher for us when no one else will (physics teacher)
43. You always keep the "basket of happiness" full (candy basket her friends loved to raid)
44. You can deal with six kids, and one more
45. You laugh at my dumb jokes
46. And come up some of your own
47. You don't think my sports are a life or death thing
48. You have a steady supply of Pop Tarts and Flintstone vitamins
49. If I do something well you tell me
50. And vice-versa - - ouch
51. You still take care of me when I'm sick
52. You buy more Pepto Bismol than could possibly be imagined
53. You made sure I do things right the first time
54. Now I make sure I do things right the first time
55. You taught me how to be reasonably self sufficient
56. You taught me to do laundry
57. And dishes
58. And clean -- I never thought I would appreciate any of that
59. You make sure I have everything I need
60. That includes days off
61. You can always make me smile
62. You can also make me more humble with simple a look
63. You always make sure I know exactly what is going on and what I've missed
64. You convinced me I needed to know how to type and then made me learn how
65. You appreciate the impatient cow joke
66. You taught me that I was special
67. You taught me to be polite
68. And to share my toys
69. You refused to let me accept bad grades
70. You taught me to try and better myself first, so that now I can better the world
71. You don't let people walk over you
72. And you don't walk in the shadow of a leader, instead, you lead others
73. You love my boyfriend and accept him as part of our family
74. Sometimes you care too much
75. So sometimes I do too
76.You know when to speak up, or when to be quiet
77. And even when you mess that up, it is always OK
78. You are not ashamed to hold hands with me in public
79. Or play weird games
80. You let me be myself
81. You haven't thrown away my gray sweater, even though you hate it
82. You knew exactly where to find my pillowcase
83. You taught me about the greatest basketball team ever
84. You took me on a very expensive vacation, just because I asked
85. And we had a great time together
86. We are still best friends
87. We always will be
88. You always tell me the truth
89. ALWAYS
90. You taught me to be practical
91. And to love life
92. You slept on the couch for years to give me a bed
93. And you still would
94. You believe me when I tell you something
95. Because you taught me not to lie
96. Because you always smile
97. And you are not afraid to show your emotions
98. Because you are the one person I know I can always talk to
99. And that you will still love me at the end of that talk
100. Even if I screwed up
101. And you taught me that screwing up is OK.

Happy Mother's Day Mama. I love you.