Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Progress is being made

Slowly but surely it's all coming together. The dining room ceiling is painted, all the dining room walls and trims touched up and the kitchen table is in place. Carly declared it "beautiful." I wouldn't go that far, but sturdy and big certainly come to mind when I look at it. I have one chair painted red to match. I'm going to see how well the paint holds up before I spend a lot of time painting the others. I think this table will serve us well. It will seat 10 and a highchair (or 2) comfortably.

In the bedroom the wallpaper is stripped, walls patched, ceiling painted, baseboards up, carpet ordered, crown molding and trim ready to paint, stain purchased for the furniture in a lovely shade of blue/grey and hopefully by the end of the day, the walls will be painted.

It's always interesting to "work" with kids. We did 2 days of school work Sunday afternoon -- much to the children's joy -- because I knew this was going to be a busy week. So while listening to them complain about how much they disliked school because it was just numbers and reading, we discussed if they would rather go to public school. A resounding no was heard by all. Then I told Jacob to get a notebook and I had him start listing all the ways they had used just "numbers and reading" so far today. It didn't take but a few minutes to see that they used numbers from everything to how many waffles they wanted for breakfast to when they measured the window blinds. I told Jacob to wet about a fourth of a rag for me to clean up a paint spot and he came back to add fractions to his list. It was about this point that they realized they wouldn't even be able to make a list without those "words" and spelling knowledge. After just awhile, they all came to the conclusion that school is a necessary evil.