Saturday, February 11, 2006

Granny - Rest in peace

My sister in law, Kathy, is my age - 45. She has been my sister in law since we were 15. You do the math. We have been through many joys and trials together.

Kathy's mother died Wednesday morning. Although she was in poor health, she seemed to be on the upswing. A massive stroke was the cause of death. So the rest of the week has been spent doing funeral things.

For the time being, my little kids are the closest thing that Kathy has to grandkids and every since Jacob was a baby - long before anyone else was around, she has taken him to visit her momma, "Granny." He loved going to Granny's house and he would always come home with a sack of "treasures" and good things to talk about. He has wonderful memories of their visits together.

Kathy says that since the first time her momma laid eyes on Jacob 8 years ago she never had a conversation with her that didn't include the question, "how's my boy?" Kathy would always ask, "do you mean Jeremy?" - who is her grown son and her mom would reply, "No, I mean little britches."

Jacob hasn't gotten to visit Granny as much the last few years because of her health, but he would write to her and send her pictures he drew and colored. He would call her just to talk to her and tell her that he loved her and missed her. He just called her the other day as a matter of fact.

Granny's funeral was today - the day that Bill and Jacob were to leave for Florida to go fishing. Jacob had never been to a funeral home and I didn't want to take him today and then send him off where I wouldn't be there if he bad dreams in the night. So I took him to the funeral home last night.

He wanted to take Granny a flower, so we went to the florist and got a yellow rose - her favorite. He made her a card which he attached and he made sure all the words were spelled right.

Granny
I love you.
I will miss you.
I will see you in heaven.
X0X0X
Jacob

At the funeral home, he took my hand in his and bravely walked up to the front. Not looking left or right, he was obviously on a mission - to get to see Granny one last time.

He got permission from Aunt Kathy - and then laid his flower right beside Granny's hand - where it stayed - and will stay forever. With a backward glance over his shoulder, a tear running down his cheek, he said, "she sure looks pretty, doesn't she. I am really going to miss her. I'm glad I will get to see her again."

Peace fills my 8 year old son's heart. The assurance that he will someday get to visit Granny again in heaven made yesterday bearable for him. I pray that you have the same peace and assurance.