Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I thought Bill had lost his mind......but it turns out that it's me

Saturday I was looking at the calendar for the week and on Tuesday it said "Christmas Play" in Bill's handwriting. What in the world???? What was he thinking? The kid's Christmas play was on a Sunday night. So I think how sad it is that he is suffering dementia at such a young age, and I put a white label over his writing to "erase" his mistake. I am kind enough to not mention his ignorance to him. What good would it do anyway? His brain is obviously addled and he probably wouldn't even know what I was talking about. With that label, I cleared my entire week of obligations except for church. Life is good.

Last night the phone rings and when I answer it, my friend, Vicki (Nanny 911 Vicki) gives me her usual cheerful greeting and then asks me where we are meeting in the morning.

Huh? What are you talking about? She laughs merrily like I am kidding her.

So she asks do I want to go to brunch or just meet there. Huh? Meet where?

It sinks in to her that I am clueless to what she speaks of. So she slows her words down so that I might understand.

Do.....you....want....to....meet.....me.....at....the....play?

Now - I am truly baffled. And I speak just as slowly when I reply. What....in....the....world....are....you....talking....about?

She asks, "are you feeling OK?"

Well, yes I am and just because I don't have any idea in the world what she is talking about is that any reason to question my health?

So she gently reminds me we are going to a play today. We are taking the kids to see "A Christmas Carol" at the Victory Theater. We bought the tickets a few weeks ago. And I called home to tell Bill to write it on the calendar for me, so I wouldn't forget. Oops. Sorry Billski - for questioning your sanity.

So I guess DDD (deer dissection day) will be postponed one day. Our lesson in sight today will be more visual as we enjoy the play this afternoon.