Monday, August 22, 2005

Ryan "read" his first word today!

The kids and I were all playing Chippo. It's a game like Sequence only for begining readers. You turn over the cards, read them and match them with pictures. When you get 4 in a row, you win. You can also play it by finding rhyming words. Anyway - the kids love it. And today - Ryan sounded out his first word. If you knew how dead set he is against reading, you would understand I am doubly thrilled than when any of the others started reading. He had a look of surprise when I yelled "that's right" and everyone had to stop, get in a line and do a happy dance complete with hip swivels while chanting, "oh yeah, Ryan's a reader, Oh yeah, Ryan's a reader". After a round of high fives he got tickled and wanted to try another one.

Oh the things I do to get my kids to learn.