Sunday, January 03, 2016

A New Year - another milestone

Yesterday marked 3 years since Ryan left our home for the last time.  I sometimes wonder if forever more the beginning of a new year will remind me of the end of him living here.

I've talked to him a couple of times and seen him once in that time.  None of those conversations were very productive as I can tell he still does not accept responsibility for his actions that led to his removal. This makes me sad, but also confirms my decision to have him removed was absolutely the correct one.

I think I will be seeing Ryan again at court in a few months.  I've asked and none of his siblings are interested in going to see him.  This thinking confirms what I've long since thought about my kids.  They are much more willing to forgive someone who hurts them personally, than a person who hurts someone they love.

And it's not even that I think they haven't forgiven Ryan. I think they have - they just are done giving him more chances to hurt their family. Sometimes, enough is enough.