Thursday, July 21, 2011

Strange encounter of the Wal-Mart Kind




Went to the orthopaedic doctor this morning and got to see the handiwork of the surgeon in Louisville. After my stitches were removed, Dr. Goris said I could move my arm a bit and lift up to 5 pounds occasionally. I still have to use the sling, unless I'm just sitting around with my arm resting on something.

I was hoping that he would say I didn't have to wear the neck brace, but I asked him about it and he said he had looked at the MRI and I had to continue wearing it. I kinda thought he might be a bit more lenient since he let me lift with my arm. Not so much.

This afternoon, after spending the morning watching Vicki Alvey and her daughter, Sam make ice cream for the shop, my friend, Terry came to take me to Wal-Mart. As I was wandering the aisle, putting groceries in my cart, this woman approached me and asked, "Why are you doing this? Don't you have any friends to help you?"

I assured her I did but I just wanted to get out of the house for a bit. Not convinced, she asked if she could take my list and get my groceries for me. I was trying not to laugh at her kind offer, but you could tell she thought I was lying and was all alone in the world. I told her I needed to get on my way, my friend would be waiting and she just sorta rolled her eyes and turned away.

I almost felt like I should go find Terry and produce proof that I had at least ONE friend.