Monday, February 02, 2009

My daddy died today



surrounded by his family. I was able to hold his hand and tell him how much I loved him as Jesus welcomed him into heaven. It was as if it were happening to someone else, but when the funeral home director asked me to sign the paper so they could take him away, I knew it was all too real.

My dad loved to laugh more than any person I ever met. He loved to tell jokes and play jokes and he had quit laughing at all the last few months. My dad was my cheerleader, my staunch supporter, my firm ground -- and I loved him more than words can ever describe.

He told me a few months ago that no matter what we were doing together, he always had a good time -- even if it was the most horrible work, we had fun doing it together. And that I was one of his best friends - as he was mine.

He was a good man - a kind man. And without a doubt one of the best pappaws to ever have the name. This evening, I am able to praise God that my dad did not linger for years in the nursing home. That he did not suffer in his passing. And that all of his family could be there to say goodbye.

I know my dad now has his dignity back, his ability to walk and talk back and his laughter is no doubt resounding in heaven. Above all, I praise God for allowing me to have such a wonderful dad who I was so proud to call my own.