Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I am intimidated.

Note that I did not say intimidatING - but intimidated. My nemisis is this little note which has been on my computer desk for several weeks and this little pile of lumber waiting for me to do something with it.

Several weeks ago I was approached about building a table for our church auction to be held in December. Since then I have spent countless hours thinking, fretting and wondering whatever possessed me to agree to do it.

I felt the same way a few years ago when I agreed to make a cross for church to hang up for Easter services. In retrospect, I didn't get enough information before I agreed to do it. Once I did get a clear idea of what was wanted, I spent the next week on-line looking for one to just buy and donate instead. No such luck. My first cross was pitiful and squatty and horribly misproportuned. But my next attempt turned out OK and it remains on the wall in the sanctuary.

So although I am intimidated, I have made my mind up to do this. I have made trips to the lumber yard in Illinois and bought all manner of stuff which I will probably use for something, but not this table.

Finally, today, I woke up with a plan in mind and a determination to get it done. This afternoon, I went out and bought enough lumber to build the table and even some extra for screw ups.

Always thinking ahead though, my ultimate plan is to make a table that will match my kitchen - just in case I have to buy it back myself.