Saturday, September 01, 2007

Desperate times call for desperate measures

*** The pictures in this post are of Jacob, but he is now covered with the Fifth's Disease rash and so his picture has been edited. ***

Jacob has still not bought the first snack since we started our new way of doing things (which is working out great) and has been anxiously waiting for the moment when he could go to the bank and open a savings account. I told him he had to save $50.00 first. With his snack money he had saved, some secret chore money added and a bit for babysitting, he had $49.00 and was stuck for another week. Sure, I would have given him a buck come Tuesday morning, but he couldn't seem to wait that long.

Specifically, he wanted a bank account at Old National, where they have a kids account which is partnered up with the Colts football team. Every time the Colts win, the kid is mailed a number and if their number is a winner, there are great prizes like Playstations, Wiis, Colt's tickets and cash -- the grand prize is $25,000. Even if you don't have a winning number, you get some Colt's merchandise each week. So he didn't want to waste any time - yet he was still one buck shy of his goal.

Late last night Jacob "earned" his final dollar so early this morning he opened his account. When I asked him what he wanted his code to be for his ATM card, he said, "Bob." I told him it had to be a number so he came up with Bob1.

I asked him why and he replied, "I like Bob. Bob's a good name. There's just not enough Bobs in the world so I'm going to name my first son Bob ........or Pablo." My laughter no doubt startled those poor, bored tellers and I was sitting there listening to my future grandchild's name.

So how did Jacob come up with his final dollar? He didn't steal, beg, barter or coerce any unsuspecting sibling. He didn't sell anything. He didn't find it. So what's left for a 10 year old boy to do?




Pull a tooth of course. I just hope it was loose before yesterday.