Friday, August 10, 2007

Laundry

Laundry is constant - that's a given. How to do laundry - that as varied as favorite foods. JMom recently commented on how she keeps her triplets looking like they just stepped out of a magazine. She doesn't describe them that way - I do. Whereas, she dresses them in white ON PURPOSE, I have never bought a white T-shirt for anything other than the Christmas play. Her toddlers are always dressed adorably and I know the salespeople love to see her coming.

All the steps she takes to make those clothes keep looking adorable lets me know WHY those clothes stay so cute. After reading her post I got to thinking of my own laundry habits. I was certainly brought up to do laundry correctly.


I can recall vividly the double wide closet in the kids' bathroom when I was growing up. Open up the doors and lining the floor like soldiers were 5 tall, olive green, oval, laundry baskets. Six vent holes in a diamond pattern on each side and a DYMO label on each one letting you know, in no uncertain terms, what went where: Lights, Darks, Towels, Special Lights, Special Darks.

At our house, it's a bit whole heck of a lot more relaxed. Bill has a basket in our linen closet for his work clothes. My work clothes are usually covered in saw dust and get tossed in front of the washing machine on the concrete floor - to be washed with his work clothes. We have a basket in our closet for our other clothes.

As for our kids adorable togs, - well, they know that anything stained gets squirted with Shout. If you pass some of Sophie's clothes or a kitchen towel laying on the step as you go down them, take it and put it in the washer. Then the laundry is sorted -- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. It's basically "take it off and throw it in the washer" and hope for the best.

When the washer is full - start it.

It's simple - but it works for us.