Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Enchilada Pie


A couple of days ago, we tried a recipe out of our cookbook called, Easy Ooey Fooey Chicken. It was a huge success, so today Stacey emailed me another recipe her family really enjoys.

Here's how I did it.....

1 1/2 lb ground beef – season to taste…salt, pepper, garlic, Tony Cacheres, chili powder
1/2 medium chopped onion
2 cans chili beans
2 cans cream of celery soup
1 can green chilis (or 2 if you like it more spicy)
1 bag of cheese (I mixed cheddar and mozzarella)
1 pkg. tortillas

Preheat oven to 325. Brown ground beef and onion, then drain. Lightly spray bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 pan. Combine in a bowl the soup (do not add milk), chili beans and green chilis. This makes it easier & quicker to spread. Using hands, tear tortillas in about 2” wide strips until bottom of pan is completely covered and move up the sides of pan as well (thus the “pie”). Spread ½ of ground beef on tortillas, then ½ of soup mixture and sprinkle some cheese. Repeat layering beginning with tortillas. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly.

I'm not a cheese person and I liked it. Everyone else loved it, except Jacob and he said it was OK. Andi, who wasn't hungry wanted "just one bite" and ended up eating about 40 bites. It was easy to make and a crowd pleaser.

I'm ending this post with a product endorsement for this Mix and Chop gadget by Pampered Chef. I just got mine yesterday and when I cooked my ground beef today it was so much easier than in the past. Well worth the price.