Wednesday, March 21, 2007

You ever have that moment when

you know you should be moving quickly and yet you just are practically frozen in the spot you stand?

I had that moment last night when I was working at the building our church is getting ready to open the Family Education Center in. I was patching some holes and cracks in preparation for the walls to be painted when I dropped my cell phone.


It hit the floor and then it bounced up, up, up into the air and then down, down, down right into a bucket of water. It was at that second that my arms froze and my brain was thinking, "this can't be good for my phone."

I don't know how long I stood there before my arms worked and my body bent down. Seems like weeks, but of course, it wasn't (or else I would still be there.)

I couldn't believe that when I flipped it open, it still worked. Then I got real brave and turned it off. Turned out that wasn't such a good idea. It did not come back on.

Some of the ladies there assured me it would work once it dried out. Heidi said she had even washed hers twice. So I put new thoughts of a phone out of my head and waited. I tried it about an hour later and was pleasantly surprised to see my old familiar Duke logo.

Something I'm not used to seeing - and pray that I don't get used to seeing is Jacob, coming through the house with a large pair of shiny basketball shorts pulled up over his shoulders. The waistband makes a lovely neckline, don't you think?


Now he said -- and I'm quoting here, "Take my picture, mom." Well, OK, but what does he think I'm gonna do with it, except put it on my blog? True, I might have to blow it up for his wedding day, but for now this will have to do. You will all never know how much you appreciate that I cropped it down (or up in this case) and you don't get the graphic view of the full wedgie this particular outfit causes. This reminds me so much of something Andi would have done - those two are a LOT alike. Scary.


Smile train jar update: We were not swayed (as is our custom) by the Hot Light at Krispe Kreme yesterday, so that six bucks went into the jar. We now have 25 bucks in there or as Jacob put it, "One tenth of the money we need to change a kids life." In less than a week - we are doing great and nobody missed the calories.