Wednesday, January 11, 2006

What a wonderful day

I just love an enjoyable birthday. My birthday started off great when I got up to find cake ready for ignition. Bill and I lit the candles and I was honest to God relieved that the smoke from where I blew them out did not set off the smoke alarm. That would have been hard to live down. But I have never actually seen smoke billow off a cake before. I'm gonna blame cheap candles or something. It couldn't have been that there were so many of them. We all had cake for breakfast and people were calling me even before 8 am to wish me happy birthday. Before Bill went to sleep (he works nights) he gave all the kids firm instructions that I was to do NO work today - and I pretty much didn't. I started sweeping the floor and Carly almost tackled me to get the broom from me. Jacob fixed Bill's lunch box for tonight and they all worked together to fix their lunch. They chose Peanut Butter on bananas, cheese and crackers and milk. OK by me.

After school, I did a little cleaning in the garage while the kids played and then we did some errands. We went to church this evening and when I walked in, everyone started singing Happy Birthday to me. My friend, Sonya, brought ice cream for the class we teach together to celebrate. When we got home, Andi, Big Guy and I watched Duke roll to an impressive victory over Maryland. They are now 15-0. They are one of only 3 unbeaten teams in the nation. What an awesome season so far. Bill even told me that he hoped Duke won today since it was my birthday. That was a shocker coming from him...anti-Duke that he is.

The only bummer part of the day is discovering the price of what happens when camera meets concrete. The estimate to look at my 35 mm camera to fix it was $140.00. Bill and I both thought that to be a bit on the outrageous side, so a new camera will be my belated birthday gift. I was supposed to see about getting mine fixed a few weeks ago, but I got busy and didn't get to it. I love my camera and I am going to miss it - and I think that is probably why I put it off. I don't really want a new one... I just want to go back in time and not drop mine. Goodbye old faithful - I'm gonna miss you.